Who doesn’t have memories of these crunchy, chocolate-y treats from their childhood? I think the photos speak for themselves… these are so indulgent, but made with wholesome, nourishing ingredients, so they’re the perfect healthy treat (in moderation).
Cheeky Chocolate Crackles
- 1 cup cocoa butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 4 cups puffed brown rice
- Set up a double boiler: in a large glass/metal bowl, place the cocoa butter and coconut oil and sit over a pot of boiling water so that the butter and oil melt to liquid. Alternatively you can use a microwave.
- Once a liquid state has been achieved, stir in the cocoa or cacao powder and rice malt syrup.
- Mix in the puffed brown rice.
- Set up a baking tray with 18-20 patty pans spread across it.
- Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each patty pan. Ensure the mixture at the bottom of the bowl is divided evenly between the patty pans, as the rice malt syrup sinks down. This means that the sweetness is spread equally between each patty pan.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour before serving.
Makes 18-20 crackles. Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.